Images

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Illustration Friday-Germs


Today I thought it would be fun to do a simple cartoon in pencil. It's been forever since I've messed around with pencil. So I grabbed out a 6B and a piece of bristol board and started at it. One of the very basic things I love so much about art is the way a particular medium feels. The smoothness of a soft lead pencil on a smooth surface. The heaviness or lightness that you apply, the different contrasts that you can make. These to me are the things that absorb you into your art.

It's funny as I was drawing my little germ creature, and smearing the graphite with my finger, it brought back a memory of one of my art teachers. I remember him saying how when using something like conte' crayon or lead or any thing sloppy that smears, you should always keep an extra piece of paper under your palm so as not to smear. Today as I was purposely smearing, I seemed to get a bit of extra enjoyment out of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment