Images

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Illustration Friday~Twirl



Arthur rendered in Photoshop
This is Arthur. Arthur and I have been together since 1989. That's when the light bulb went off, that's when I had the idea of becoming a children's illustrator. And since then both of us have had a twirlly-whirlly ride. As for me I've been up, down, and all around with this long held dream. Arthur has also had a good spin of it. He's been set on art tables, longingly stared out of windows, and found himself stuffed into closets. I think he may have even come to classes with me a couple of times. His one hand is glued on since somewhere along the way he got himself injured. His base has also seen better days. I have to admit, I know how he feels. I too have had my share of ups and downs. Some days I question--why do I stay on this road? Freelance?... Really? ...Full-time? You gotta be kidding! And yet, I just can't seem to stop. It's a part of me. It's the part of me that I am so familiar with. From Crayola to Prism Color it never seemed to be a choice. With all the pieces and parts of my life: marriage, children, people entering, people leaving, jobs, jobs and, more jobs! This is the part of me that I've grown up with. So I continue on...I dream, I hope, I pray--and I keep moving forward; some days, only inch by inch. Lately though, I feel a shift, a new found determination. I think it's rather ironic that when the economy is so down and so many of us are struggling; I'm feeling so optimistic...I hope it's contagious! I hope 2012 is a revving up year, full of new starts for all of us!


As for Arthur... he seems happy to be back in the loop--Twirling :)




Arthur with a mini Van Gogh that Annie drew.

I probably have had this saying for 20 years.




From Matt's favorite game
"Skyrim"








Annie and Matt have been drawing a lot lately too.



7 comments:

  1. Good read... I hope you have a wonderful year too, full of twirling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Alecia!! I enjoyed looking at your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mary Lou, and Happy Year of the Dragon to you too! So sorry you've had issues with comments on my blog - I fished your recent one out of the Spam Q, don't know why it put it there, hopefully won't happen again.

    LOVE your man Arthur. I have 2 mannequins that are intertwined as if twirling around the dance floor. So nice to someone get it down on paper. I bet there are lots of artists mannequins doing that same dance!

    Have a great weekend,

    Cheers,

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the visit Cindy! I've been having problems with comments using Explorer lately, so maybe that's part of it. I switched over to Google Chrome and it seems to be working better.

    I'm happy you liked my Arthur :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dancing mannequin-- I do that with mine too! I have a suspicion that many artists use their mannequins less for creating poses & more for (non-intrusive) companionship in the studio... ;-)

    Keep on twirlin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks! I will keep on twirlin--nothing like going around in circles!! Thanks for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete