Images

Sunday, April 10, 2016

The making of a Jukebox


As I sat in at one of our committee meetings, we were actively discussing the Years of Service Awards for library staff that have achieved 5, 10 15, and more years of service at their job. It's a fun and creative committee and I do enjoy being a part of it. Last year we did an Italian theme. This year the talk was all about doing a 1950's theme using the books of Christine Wenger. All murder mysteries with food themes.

We called it "A Night of Culinary Intrique
We came up with a catchy invite
As we threw around ideas, I thought we can't have a 1950's diner theme without a Jukebox. Had I had known it would be around 30 or so hours of my life, I may have bit my tongue. Although at the time I envisioned a foam board standup with  colorful paper attached. Instead this is what developed over a period of time.                                                               


A simple platter from Dollar General
Tubing with battery operated lights
later tubing is colored in pink marker
Cardboard packaging material and
plastic mesh fencing painted gold
and a decorative from Dollar General

Phase one was put together with lots of  duct tape
contact paper and two large cardboard boxes.
The inside was covered in shiny paper.
These two pieces were held together by
a thin piece of cardboard that was inserted into
two slits that became the platform that held the
record player. 
All tubing was attached with zip ties. Wrapping
paper tubes were later covered in sparkly paper. 
Thanks to Jim (our page at Willoughby Hills Lib) for the 45's and
Mark (my co-worker) for the really cool battery operated plastic record player.
And Lisa (Willoughby Library and fellow committee member)
who found a jukebox label creator and created a playlist!
It all came together well with a little help from my friends!

And in the end this…
 And lots of pictures below of the Event. A special shout out to Sue on 35 years and Bernie for receiving The Board Award. Great job to all involved


Colleen's yummy meatloaf
Colleen, Sherry and Mollie setting up
Yummy
Lisa pondering her lovely centerpieces that she made
as Ginny looks on.
Our victime Sharon being a good sport!

Contract Negation Team being honored

Sue cutting the cake
Sue being applauded for 35 years of service



Lisa and Colleen's beatiful table display
Kim, Sarah and Marybeth honorees

Colleen our organizing queen!
Bernie being honored for The Board Award!
Ann and Jim 15 years of Service!


Trish and Lori hanging with a Board member 
Vicky and Sharon hanging with the Yuko's
Karen gets an award! 

Sue and Barb having a chat

Rick and Eric our fearless leaders




Ruth, Jim and Bob
Holly and Amy chatting
Jim "The Coffee Addict"

Yay Kim!


Time to eat!


My buddy Ann






2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary Lou - I love your blog and your paintings. I will talk to you more about it when I see you. I am bookmarking it! I am getting ready for Vermont. Doug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so envious that you get to go to one of my favorite places, but also so happy for you! Enjoy Vermont:) I totally love your blog too! Kindred spirits we are 😊

      Delete