Images

Friday, September 11, 2009

Being Realistic


Today is the first day I feel like getting back on task. I’ve been down most of the week with a head cold and nagging cough. Needless to say I do not think “A Road Map to Dreams" will be airborne by the 15th as I had hoped. Plus looking at the art I think it needs more work than I had originally thought. It’s funny, no matter how many years I’ve put into doing my art; it’s still a trick to budget time. For instance, last week I sent off a promotional package to Highlights for Children. I woke up feeling inspired and ready to let something fly! I figured I had all the pieces and parts. I thought for sure I could get this thing out later that day. Then the mailman comes early, usually he’s a 4pm run. Next, the story that I had written some time back and figured was pretty well together, needed some work. Followed by a “too dry” formal letter to the art director, and one to the editor, both needing to be more “friendly”. So with the help of a good friend. The story was edited and the letter became "friendly". Of course to finish off this process was a last minute run to Target for ink. As it all came together, what started on a Tuesday was out the door on a Thursday. All in all I felt good about getting the promo piece out. It was also a good reminder on realistic expectations.

4 comments:

  1. I can relate... so well! You will get it done and your art just SINGS!

    Thanks for the follow... I will follow you as well.
    All the best for a great illustration year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ginger! I appreciate the comment! Best to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep on plugging, Mare. I like reading your thoughts about the creative process since I am not so.... Love you Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sue, been thinking of you...Take another art class. I want to see your masterpieces. Luv Mare!

    ReplyDelete